Chris Brown: I lost everything after Rihanna incident, now 'we're fine' (Video)

Chris Brown recently opened up about his relationship with singer Rihanna during an interview on "Today."

The 23-year-old performer, who is currently promoting his sixth studio album "X" and his single "Fine China," spoke to Matt Lauer on April 1. Brown was convicted of felony assault charges after attacking Rihanna in 2009, and spoke about his transformation and the pair's evolving relationship.

"For me I've been humbled by the whole experience, from me losing everything to me having to regain public opinion or whatever it is," Brown told Matt Lauer on "Today." "But most importantly, knowing what I did was totally wrong and having to kind of deal with myself and kind of forgive myself in the same breath and being able to apologize to Rihanna and be that man that can be a man, you know?"

Brown faced intense scrutiny after he assaulted Rihanna following a pre-Grammys party. He was sentenced to five years of probation, six months of community service and was ordered by the courts to receive domestic violence courses for a year.

The singer explained that he completed his court ordered violence program and that now he's focusing on his own personal rehabilitation.

"I think it's just me proving myself once again," Brown said. "Knowing that what I did was wrong, and never doing it again. So as far as me and her are concerned, she knows my heart, and I know her heart. So I'm not really focused on the negative."

"Everything about it is positive for me," he continued. "I did my 52 weeks of counseling and learned that it was absolutely wrong. It was counseling, domestic violence counseling, 52 week program, every Monday in Virginia. I remember going and just si! tting in ! there and just like, 'Yo, why did I do what I did?' And really wanting to just get help."

Chris Brown: Rihanna and I are "fine"

In a recent radio interview that aired on a Los Angeles station, Brown was quoted as saying that he and the Barbadian singer were done. He clarified the misunderstanding during the interview with Lauer, saying: "We're fine. I think in the actual interview that they tried to depict that they got it wrong ... Everything is good - we're fine."

Rihanna, 25, first confirmed that she and Brown were dating again in a late January interview with Rolling Stone, commenting: "I decided it was more important for me to be happy."

While the incident with Rihanna took place years ago, Lauer brought up Brown's 2012 altercation with Drake and his recent highly publicized fight with Frank Ocean. The singer went on to explain that everything is a "learning process."

"I think everybody is entitled to their opinion," he continued. "For me, it's just a learning process. You know, I have to just take it one day at a time. I can't make everybody like me. I think for my album and what I'm promoting as far as the single or whatever it is, it's about me being positive. And everything that I'm doing with my music is hopefully to inspire the world and inspire people that who have been in my situation or even anybody who's trying to learn from me, you know?"

In March, Rihanna told Elle UK that her reconciliation with Chris Brown is different this time around because the two are getting a "fresh start" as adults in their relationship. She went on to explain that right now the pair are just looking for "a great friendship that's unbreakable."

What do you think of Brown's comments -- are they genuine? Vote in our poll below. Also, check out his interview from "Today."

(Copyright 2013 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments